Thursday 21 August 2014

Black and Blum - Box Appetit lunch box review

Hey everyone,

So this week I am getting all excited about........A LUNCH BOX! Yes, you read right...a lunch box! This week I finally got the lunch box I have been hankering after for some time. This brings back memories of being a child and feeling like you had the weight of the world on your shoulders trying to find and decide on the perfect lunch box for returning to school in September. What would your friends think? was it cool? would you be the only person with this lunch box and that before you even opened it and compared what you had in your lunch box! For many years my mum did not seem to realise quite the importance of the lunch box to school life, general popularity and how cool (or not) was I considered and refused to buy us new lunch boxes stating that an ice-cream tub "does it just as well".Year after year I would have my ice-cream/ lunch box until one year she allowed us to have a proper lunch box, it was sheer delight!

My school days are long gone and never again did I think I would get so excited about a lunch box until I got my hands on my Black and Blum box appetit lunch box! I should add here that I have not been approached by Black and Blum to review this product or anything like that. This is totally my own post because I really am that excited about a lunch box!

Anyway, back to it...

Black and Blum was set up by two friends; Dan Black and Martin Blum (see where they got the name for the company?!) They joined forces in 1998 and are based in London. They are a design consultancy but also decided to design their own range of products

"We are driven by the opportunity to give each design its own unique character and soul. Our brief is to create functional products that will charm and entertain." - Black and Blum



Here is Black and Blum's lunch range and my lunch box is the one at the back in the centre and it is what they call 'box appetit'


This is my lunch box. I chose the aqua and orange combination which is shown in this image. The seal itself on the box is what is the aqua colour. There is then a reusable orange fork and a handy place to slot your fork on the outside of the box, finally I won't have to chose between loosing my fork somewhere in my bag or opening up my lunch box to find my fork covered in the entire contents! It will also hold chopsticks (not included)



10 things I like the Black and Blum lunch box....

1) The colours


The photo shows the colour range. The colours look much more vibrant in person. I picked the aqua and orange lunch box for myself and the pink and blue for my sister as a gift.


2) That they are attractive looking and stylish without you having to sacrifice practicality (there is no point having a pretty but leaking lunch box. Been there, done that!)

3) The graphics on the packaging and the packaging itself. Its made from unbleached cardboard and has lovely graphics showing you how to use it. I am a bit of a sucker for a cool packaging graphic! It also have the wording in German and French so I can also pretend I am cool Berliner or Parisian!

4) They have solved the catch 22 of messy fork vs lost fork and they have included the fork too

5) The sauce pot - this is so useful! How many times have I had salad with dressing and opened it at lunch to find it is a sludgy disgusting mess as the dressing makes the salad too wet?! It also has a sauce 'dish' on the reverse of the lid to use to dip into

This is an image of the smaller Bento Box but you can see the sauce pot and the sauce dish.

6) It is freezable and microwavable (it has a little steam hole)

7) It has a compartment to store something else in and this comes out really easily.



8) Super easy to clean and can go in the dishwasher (hooray!)

9) BPA free

10) It has other items in the range with you could add to it such as the Bento Box

I love pretty much everything about it. If there was room for improvement I would perhaps like more colour options and for it to come with chopsticks too

Hope you enjoyed my review of the Black and Blum lunch box. Thanks for reading.
If you would like to find out more about their work please see their website Black and Blum

The Dorothy Days X



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment (it makes me smile!)

Thank you!