Thursday 25 April 2013

Vintage Thursday- A Child's Garden of Verses


Hey guys :)

Check me out....I made a snazzy new banner!! Actually rather pleased with it especially the lovely little vintage style bird. I am also a bit of a nice font addict so was rather excited by this nice swirly font :).

For the last two weeks I have posted vintage things that I found and wanted to share with you and all. They have been quite popular and have had lots of nice comments about the posts so I thought why not turn this into a more regular thing ?! I thought it could be quite a lot of fun to do and gives me an excuse to hunt out wonderful, weird, wacky, beautiful and just plain strange vintage items!!! Sound fun!? I thought so :).

This week I have to share with you all this beautiful illustration from A Child's Garden of Verses written by Robert Lewis Stevenson. It was published in 1905 so really is a proper old vintage book. It was published in New York by Dodge Publishing Company on 23 East 20th Street.  I thought this illustration was just lovely :). The illustrator is Bessie Collins Pease


The text that accompanies the illustration is as follows:

AT THE SEA-SIDE
 When I was down beside the sea
A wooden spade they gave to me
To dig the sandy shore.

My holes were empty like a cup
In every hole the sea came up,
Till it could come no more.


Hope you enjoyed this blog post and thanks for reading :).

The Dorothy Days Xxx

2 comments:

  1. vintage illustrated books are one of my favorite things to collect! thanks for sharing :)
    Cheers! http://hejjuni.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome :) ! Hope you enjoyed

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment (it makes me smile!)

Thank you!